Stratocaster is one of the best electric guitars you can find in the market. It is, in fact, one of the first types of guitar that pop on the mind of guitarists when they hear the electric guitar. Many who don’t play must have heard or read about this gem that brings life to every play session. This guitar has been around for a very long time and comes with mind exquisite design.
But not all Stratocasters model are the same even if they look similar. They make use of different gauge strings. Using the wrong strings might completely make your Stratocaster deliver poor sound. One basic rule of using Stratocasters is to use the right string for the right strats.
Hence, we will at first consider some essential criteria that will help you select the best gauge string for your Stratocaster; then we will explore some of the best gauge strings for Stratocaster.
Criteria for Selecting Best Gauge Strings for Stratocaster
Here are some essential tips that will help you select the best gauge strings for your Stratocaster;
String material: some strings are made of high-quality steels; this makes it easier to transmit the string vibration to the magnetic pickups. Some strings are also made with Nickel-plated steel, Vintage Nickel, and Stainless steel.
String core: string core refers to the center of the string, wires are coiled around it to create larger wound strings. The most popular material used for string core production is steel. Modern string construction now makes use of hexagonal-shaped wires.
String winding Method: there are two popular methods, round wound, and flat wound. The round wound is more popular; they are available in different gauges and made with different materials. They have a brighter tone and great sustain. The flat wound, on the other hand, is popular among jazz players. They have a smoother playing feel and dark tones.
String Gauges: otherwise called the size of the strings or the thickness. Lighter sting gauges are easier to play, and they offer less sustain and volume. Heavier gauges, on the other hand, have more volume and sustain. With it, you can play harder and supports drop tuning and alternate tuning.
Best Gauge Strings for Stratocaster
1. D’Addario EXL110-3D XL Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings – Editor’s Pick
This is a regular light gauge string suitable for your Stratocaster. This is presently the best-selling electric guitar string. It is designed to last for a long time, and deliver excellent and bright tones at all times. The string comes in corrosion-resistant packaging that makes it last for a long period. They are wound with nickel-plated steel onto a hexagonally shaped high carbon steel core.
This helps it produces bright tones, perfect intonation, top-notch magnetic output, and increased fret lifespan. String gauges in this pack include plain steel .010, .013, .017, nickel wound .026, .o36, and .046.
2. Ernie Ball Power Slinky Nickel Wound Sets
This gauge string for Stratocaster contains three individual sets which are all enclosed in a single flow-wrap package. It features a high carbon steel hex core. Several legends around the world have played these strings, and they all attest to the unmatched quality it carries.
It comes with an element shield packaging which helps prolong the string lifespan and help keep it as fresh as possible. This nickel-plated steel string delivers the classic, vibrant, and balanced tone required from all Stratocaster and electric guitars. The set contains a gauge of .011 to .048 strings.
3. Fender Super 250’s Nickel-Plated Steel Strings
This is another 3-pack gauge string perfect for all electric guitars. It features nickel-plated steel construction. This helps the string deliver high output with the dynamic sound of steel which marvelously meet with the smooth feel of nickel. It is perfect for all genre like rock, jazz, rap, etc.
The string is made from high-quality material that helps reveal the legacy of the founding industry. Each string is colour coded to make it easier for the player to identify. The string has an overall dimension of .88*4.5*4.5 inches, and string gauge of .009.
4. Ernie Ball 2221 Nickel Regular Slinky Electric Guitar Strings
This is another3-pack gauge string for your Stratocaster. It features nickel-plated steel wires that are carefully wrapped around the tin-plated, hex-shaped, steel core wire. The slinky string perfectly delivers vibrant, bright, and lasting tones. The quality material used for production help reduce fret wear.
Gauges carry by these strings include 10 – 13 – 17 – 26 – 36 – 46. The gauge string has an overall dimension of 1*1*1 inches and string gauge of .01. When playing with this string, you can be sure that all genre will sound clear and make your playing session perfect.
5. D’Addario EXP110 Coated Electric Guitar Strings, Light, 10-46
This is another best-selling electric guitar string that features an EXP coated nickel-plated steel that helps deliver a distinctive, bright tone, and more lives. The strings feature corrosion-resistant packaging. So, no matter how long it has stayed, it remains fresh.
String gauges for plain steel include, .010, .013, .017. while Nickel wound .026, .036, and .046. It delivers bright round wound construction, and its coating adds to the durability of the string. The XL influences every playing style; they include XL pro steel, XL nickel wound, XL coated nickel, XL Chromes.
The D’Addario EXL110-3D XL Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings is the best on the list, funny enough it is offered for such a cheap fee. Without the right gauge string, playing the right tone is impossible. So, keep this review with you when next you are visiting a gauge string shop, and improve your overall playing skills.
- Includes 3 individually wrapped sets.
- Ernie Ball Slinkys are played by legends around the world including Slash, Jimmy Page, Metallica, Eric Clapton, and more.
- Preferred by players across many genres, Regular Slinky’s 10-to-46 gauge has become the industry standard.
- Element Shield packaging ensures your strings stay as fresh as they were the day they were made.
- Bright, balanced tone.
- Model: GB-DGF
- Custom Gauges featuring Nickel-Plated Electric Guitar Boomers, Used Since "The Wall"
- Offers a brilliant tone and powerful attack, THE POWER STRING.
- Signature Gauges (Blue): 010-012-016-028-038-048
- Electric guitar strings constructed with nickel-plated steel wrap wire
- Played for their bright, vibrant presence and dynamic punch
- Ultra-thin NANOWEB Coating provides a traditionally textured, “uncoated” feel
- Our patented coating technology protects against common corrosion, extending tone life longer than any other brand’s coated or uncoated strings...
- Super Light gauge: .009 .011 .016 .024 .032 .042
- Ball-end or bullet-end design
- Vintage nickel
- Recreation of the strings Jimi Hendrix used
- .010-.038 Ball End
- Package includes 12 packs of strings
- Plain strings are made of specially tempered tin plated high carbon steel
- The most popular acoustic guitar string alloy provides well balanced projection with crisp pleasing highs
- Element Shield Packaging Prolongs string life and keeps strings as fresh as the day they were made
- Made in California, U.S.A. Featuring the finest and freshest materials.
- Ernie Ball's new state-of-the-art wire drawing process combined with patented RPS (reinforced plain string) technology dramatically increases tensile...
- Ernie Ball’s Everlast nanotreatment and revolutionary plasma-enhanced wrap wire results in a string that repels oils, resists corrosion, and keeps...
- Legendary Slinky tone and feel, fused with ultimate strength for long-lasting durability.
- Made in the USA.
- 7-string gauges: 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46, 56.
- 500 times thinner than any other string coating.
- Everlast treatment is applied to both the inner hex core and outer wrap wire to provide ultimate protection without compromising tone or feel.
- Rich, warm tone played by acoustic greats around the world.
- Element Shield packaging keeps strings fresh.
- Made in California, USA with the freshest and finest materials.
- 09 11 16 24 32 42
- PURE WARM AUTHENTIC
- Pure Nickel Wrap
- Hand Wound Hex Core
- American Made