Buying the MIDI controller for FL studio is not just an easy task and this is largely attributed to the varieties of options and price tags in the market. These products come with varieties of quality, features and specs and you are tasked with picking just one which can be difficult.
However, we have done a thorough job of coming up with how to make shopping for the best midi controller for FL studio easy for you. We will show you the things to consider before buying your product and also list out the best five midi controllers in the market and we hope you find this really helpful.
Must Read: Trombone Mouthpiece For High Notes
Criteria For Choosing Midi Controller For FL studio
Buying the best midi controller for FL studio can be a great task as there are a series of brands out there that will readily serve you but not all will give you the best you are looking for.
We have compiled a list of criteria that will help make your shopping for the best midi controller for FL studio very easy. Below are the top considerations for choosing the best midi controller for FL studio:
Quality of the Keys: This particular subject is one of the first to consider when buying your midi controller because they go a long way in giving you the best sound and the best experience with your music. This is an important criterion for us because getting the midi controller with the best key quality, responsiveness and sensitivity will help your musical carrier a lot.
Features and Specs: This subject should also be heavily considered because it is top of the paramount things you want to know about your controller. Pay attention to the specs and the features your potential controller offers, like the pitch bend, the number of keys, the software integration, sensitivity of the pads, etc. knows how each of these will make your mixing easier before going for the purchase.
Design: This may be faintly important but you also don’t want to go about looking like a generic producer. Check for class and how attractive the controller looks before going for the purchase. A good-looking midi controller will send a message to your peers that you are not just a low-budget producer.
Durability: The fact about Midi keys going through very heavy and abusive use is not just known today, it has been a fact for a long time and you want to make sure you are getting a midi controller that has the best durability power to withstand the heavy use. Music production requires a lot, and this pressure is readily placed on the controller keyboards. You are advised to choose a controller with high-quality and durable keyboards.
Portability: Most producers would love to move about with their controllers and for the sake of ease of mobility; you will have to put into consideration the portability of the potential controller. Choose the controller with the best quality and yet has the best compact and lightweight design. Also, be sure the layout of the product is user-friendly and is rugged enough for constant moving about.
Best Midi Controller For FL Studio In 2021
1. Akai Professional MPK249 MIDI Keyboard
This Akai MIDI keyboard is just perfect for producers who are with smaller space for recordings or give live performances.
The lightweight feature and the compact design of this product make it suitable for smaller space recording and live performances.
It comes with trigger pads that will ease you into a sleek studio recording and enjoy live performances. It offers the use of 49 pressure-sensitive keys which brings great feelings while using them.
Overall, the lightweight feature makes it great for mobility.
2. Alexis VX49 MIDI Controller
The VX49 MIDI controller promises an extreme hands-on experience for producers as it brings fun to their work.
The ease of access to the FL studio when navigating the plugins will wow you. You will love the availability of the 4.3-inch screen as it comes with great resolution and the ease of access is just fantastic.
The 49 keys present are semi-weighted and the after-touch feature is just unique. The one downside to this is the somewhat over-sensitive pads. Overall, you will love that the backlight feature brings added ease of operation to the controller.
3. Nektar Panorama P4 MIDI Controller
The Nektar Panorama P4 MIDI controller comes with well-balanced keys and pads that are effectively sensitive enough to make you express yourself with great passion for your music.
The design of this product is lightweight with just 14lbs which makes it portable and easy to carry. It comes with 93 parameters that will offer you almost endless modulation options.
The product offers an ALPS fader that is motorized and sensitive to touch which gives you total control when mixing.
Finally, the keys are adjustable for comfortable playing and mixing.
4. ROLI Seaboard Block MIDI Controller
The keys of this controller are effectively responsive which allows for enough expression for you with your music.
The ROLI MIDI controller boasts of a 5D touch that allows you to easily change pitch, volume and vibrator with just one finger. Additionally, you can connect other ROLI products to enhance your performance and to give perfect studio recordings.
The product comes with a lightweight feature at about 1.43lbs which makes it easy to carry about.
The downside to this is that the product may tend to move when in use.
5. Novation Launchkey Controller
For the love of sleek studio recording and live performance, this is one of the best controllers you can lay your hands on in the market. It comes with great features that will readily wow you.
The product comes with velocity-sensitive drum pads which allow you to trigger various sample sounds with ease.
The product weighs just 9.2lbs and producers of all kinds will love this as it is great for good recordings and live performances.
This controller does not require drivers; all you need to do is install the product’s software and begin to record.
Some users complained that the pads are not as sensitive as advertised.
Must Read: Djembe For Beginners
Frequently Questions About Midi Controller For FL Studio
What is a MIDI controller?
MIDI is just like a communication language, it is a way for different devices to communicate to each other. Keyboards need to communicate with each other while keyboards also need to communicate with sound modules.
Computers will need to communicate with keyboards and the list is endless. Instead of developing different communication mechanisms for each, a group of intellectually gifted audio guys came up with a universal language for musical instruments in the year 1980. And this is how the MIDI controller was born.
What is MIDI controller used for?
Basically, MIDI controllers allow smooth communication between devices and therefore control another MIDI device. For E.g. a MIDI controller can be used to make a keyboard play sounds from another keyboard or several other keyboards.
A MIDI controller can also be used to control the lighting process if you have ever been to a studio or concert where the flashing lights are being sensitive to the beats of the music being played. It is possible that the lights are synced through the use of a MIDI controller.
For studio owners, MIDI is typically used to operate virtual instrument software.
Does the MIDI controller make sound?
This almost seems like a weird question but you will be surprised that some people expect MIDI controllers to have sound. The misconception is that MIDI and Audio are the same of which they are not.
MIDI controller is simply what makes it easy for musical instruments to communicate while audio is basically what you hear. A simple example of a MIDI controller is just like the relationship between your TV and the remote controller. The TV serves as the audio while the remote serves as the MIDI controller to the TV. So since the remote controls another device there you should know that the MIDI is like that.
Why should I use a MIDI controller?
While you will every aspect of recording in the studio or setting up of microphones, overdubbing, mixing editing, etc. it’s just normal that you can’t reach the desired point with just performers and microphones. This is where your MIDI controller comes in because with the use of a virtual instrument like EZDrummer you will be able to program a realistic drum sound. All this can be done without the need to Mic up a kit.
Choosing the best midi controller for FL studio can be very tough. You have to put a lot into consideration like the number of keys you want, the features to look out for and the ones to ignore and you also have to find a midi controller that fits right into your budget.
However, we have made this easy for you by listing the best five midi controllers for FL studio in the market and we have listed the criteria for choosing these best five midi controllers. With this little help, we hope you are able to make the right choice for yourself without having to go through the tough task of searching for the best midi controller for FL studio.
- Music Production and Beat Maker Essential - USB powered MIDI controller with 25 mini MIDI keyboard velocity-sensitive keys for studio production,...
- Total Control of your Production - Innovative 4-way thumbstick for dynamic pitch and modulation control, plus a built-in arpeggiator with adjustable...
- The MPC Experience - 8 backlit velocity-sensitive MPC-style MIDI beat pads with Note Repeat and Full Level for programming drums, triggering samples...
- Complete Command of your Virtual Instruments and FX - 8 360-degree knobs assign to all your music studio plugins for mixing, tweaking synth controls...
- 1500 plus Sounds and Everything You Need for Pro Production - Complete Music Production Starter Kit including MPC Beats, 6 Virtual Instruments and 2GB...
- 32 velocity-sensitive keys with channel after touch
- 45 assignable controls: knobs, sliders, buttons, transport and more. 8 Dynamic Pads for finger drumming and MIDI triggering
- USB Bus Powered - no AC adaptor required (AC adaptor is an optional). Bundled with the Cakewalk Production Plus Pack including three incredible...
- MIDI Keyboard with 25 full-sized, velocity sensitive square-front keys, perfect for playing Virtual Instruments
- 8 velocity- and pressure-sensitive backlit pads for beat production and clip launching
- 4 assignable knobs and 4 assignable buttons interface with your music software. Seamless, visual feedback via illuminated buttons and knobs
- Octave Up and Down buttons let you access the full keyboard range and Pitch and modulation wheels deliver expressive, creative control
- Premium Software Included - Includes ProTools, First Alesis Edition, Ableton Live Lite 9 and Eleven Lite, plus Mini Grand, DB-33 and Xpand 2 virtual...
- Pro Keyboard Performance - 61 semi-weighted, velocity-sensitive full-size keys and a premium piano-style keybed for unprecedented response and natural...
- Beat Making Essentials - 16 RGB-illuminated MPC-style pads each with 4 banks for 64 pads - the perfect solution for triggering samples, loops,...
- Assignable Control - 24 assignable Q-Link controllers comprising 8 control knobs, faders and switches engineered for hassle-free DAW / virtual...
- Your Studio Centerpiece - Take command of your peripheral MIDI equipment courtesy of an onboard USB-MIDI interface with 5-pin MIDI input and output
- Core MPC Tools - MPC mainstay controls included - MPC Note Repeat, arpeggiator, MPC Full Level, Tap Tempo and Time Division
- PERFECT FIT: We've specifically designed the case to fit your Akai Professional Fire Controller. OUTER DIMENSIONS: 13.5" L - 9" W - 2.8" H.
- 100% SAFE: Hard quality EVA material is Semi-waterproof, Shockproof and Durable to protect your Controller from impacts and splashes.
- HAND STRAP: The case features a strong Rubber Handle that allows for easy portability on the go.
- CONVENIENT DESIGN: Inner Foam sponge design protect the keyboard very well, Smooth but strong 360 degree zipper for easy Opening and Closing.
- Pro Music Production Wherever You Go: USB MIDI keyboard controller with slimline footprint and 32 mini piano style velocity sensitive keys for a...
- Customizable Response Mini keys with selectable velocity curves match any playing style inc’l traditional piano, synthesizer, key based beat making;...
- Immediate Creativity Simple plug and play connection to your Mac or PC no drivers or power supply required
- Express Yourself Octave up and down buttons for extended keyboard range, volume knob delivers smooth control and sustain button adds expressive...
- Premium Software suite included Pro Tools, First M Audio Edition recording software/DAW and AIR Music Tech Xpand 2 multitimbral synthesizer
- Premium midi controller with 25 expressive synth-action keys, on-board pitch bend and modulation wheels for performances
- 8 Hyper-Sensitive backlit pads
- Mac, PC and iOS compatible
- Software instruments automatically mapped to controls
- Includes Bitwig 8-Track DAW
- 【Ultra-thin design and portability】USB powered MIDI controller with 25 mini MIDI keyboard velocity-sensitive keys for beat maker, studio...
- 【AIR-Touch: Touch Bar】Octave Up and Down Touch Bar let you access the full MIDI keyboard range and Pitch and modulation deliver expressive,...
- 【Synth-action keys】Premium MIDI controller with 25 expressive synth-action keys.8 Hyper-Sensitive backlit pads make drum beats. USB bus powered -...
- 【TRANSPORT & NAVIGATION】Works with all music production equipment. Navigate your projects: The 6 dedicated transport buttons are always within...
- 【4 Program Presets】Four programmable memory banks for instant recall of personal control preferences.This MIDI controller offers 4 assignable...
- Compact keyboard controller easily fits backpack and studio production desk (12.4" long, 1.6 lbs)
- Powered by USB connection to computer, with free virtual-instrument download packages
- Crammed full of all the features you need to play and edit musical ideas
- 25-synth-action mini-keys, 8 velocity-sensitive rubber drum pads with two banks, and eight assignable control knobs
- Dedicated buttons for Note Repeat, Full Level, and Octave Up and Down