It is a known fact that music is food for the soul, and only with the best passive speakers for turntable can this food be prepared. Events can only be fun when several factors are in place.
The DJ must be skilled, he must have the right songs, and more importantly, there must be an excellent speaker to deliver the sounds you’ll hear. Thanks to advancements in technology, some really good passive speakers will help your sound become clearer and perfect at louder volumes.
It is no surprise that many are now switching from the traditional speakers to passive speakers, apart from the fact that it produces clearer sound, it does not need lots of power cables for its operation.
In this review, we will be discussing essential details about the best passive speakers for turntables, and how you can get one for your next performance.
Criteria for Selecting Best Passive Speakers for Turntable
Every DJ wants to use the best speaker for their shows. But outside the will to buy the best, several other factors must be taken into consideration when making your selections, let’s talk about some of the essential factors to consider when buying the best passive speakers for turntables:
Wired vs Wireless
Many are opting for wireless designs lately, and it boils down to ease of use. Yet, you need to ensure that you have a wireless record player set up before you go for wireless speakers.
If you want wireless speakers, ensure it features a reliable Bluetooth connection that won’t lead to your audio dropping in and out while playing. If wired is your preferred option, ensure it comes with cables that will fit your Turntables. Good enough, passive speakers do not carry more than a single cable.
So, whatever you choose will work well for your style.
Another essential factor to consider is the power of the speaker you are selecting. Almost all passive speakers in the market come with a recommended power range; going beyond this range will damage this speaker.
Power is measured in watts, the higher the power, the more effective your passive speaker will be. There is always a minimum and maximum range, while you won’t want to go above the maximum, going beyond the minimum reduces the quality of sound produced. The SPL (sound pressure level) is another essential factor to consider.
It is measured in decibels; it is the maximum volume acceptable for you to play songs through the speaker. Always aim for higher SPL.
Every speaker you see comes with frequency response. This influences the audio frequencies they can replicate. You should opt for balanced and equal frequency response, as this will improve the quality of sound produced.
If you will be playing heavier genres of music, the bass frequency must be taken seriously. Your chances of getter a fuller sound that is highly audible increase when you get speakers with wider frequency. This may call for an additional subwoofer to help handle the bass frequency.
All is sweet when they fall in line with your budget. When it comes to passive speakers, they are offered at varying prices depending on the manufacturer, the features, and the type of material used for the construction.
If you have a budget of $50 or below, you’ll get some speakers, but not the best ones. If you are searching for the best passive speakers, it is best you set your budget between $100 – $500, this will improve your chances of getting the best speakers.
Best Passive Speakers for Turntable
1. Audioengine HD6 150W Wireless Powered Bookshelf Speakers
This is a Bluetooth-powered bookshelf speaker that ranks high as one of the best passive speakers for turntables. One good thing about this speaker is that it works with all devices and applications. It delivers a high-end sound that is wrapped in a wooden component.
Thanks to the 150Watts peak power of this speaker, clearer sound is guaranteed. The Bluetooth has a range of 100 foot which is wide enough for Bluetooth devices. The speaker has dual audio inputs and full-range variable output. It also comes with a robust aluminum remote control which makes paddling the activities of the speaker easier.
It features custom 5.5 inches Kevlar woofers and a die-cast aluminum woofer basket. Setting up is within a few minutes; the accompanying indicators and buttons make it easier to control this speaker. Good enough, it is also compatible not only with your turntable, but with your Mac, PC, tablets, or smartphones.
2. Audioengine A5+ 150W Wireless Powered Bookshelf Speakers
The Audioengine speaker is another top option when it comes to the best passive speakers for the turntable. This premium-powered Bluetooth speaker is highly integrated with DAC. As such, the speaker can produce a high-quality sound that will help improve your play experience.
As a bookshelf speaker, it comes with Bluetooth, RCA, and a 3.5mm input which gives you numerous play options. The speaker has a professional amplified output as it has a power rating of 150 watts. It comes with a remote control that makes it easier to operate the speaker when playing. The speaker has a dimension of 22 x 11 x 15 inches and weighs 3.02 lbs.
The Bluetooth has a connectivity range of 30 meters. It has a peak power output of 60 watts, with a USB input of 16-bit which can take up to 48kHz. It is compatible with turntables, Mac, PC, tablets, or smartphones.
3. Polk Audio LSiM 703 Flagship Bookshelf Speaker
This is another high-quality bookshelf speaker that delivers the best sound you want to hear. The speaker features a super cell aerated polypropylene advanced driver material. It features a 6.5 inches mid-bass and a 3.25 inches midrange woofer.
This speaker helps you get wider dispersion and a more smooth delivery. The speaker comes with their Power port which helps deliver a more profound bass response, which helps minimize distortion and deliver full sound. This speaker has an overall dimension of 14.5 x 8.8 x 16.8 inches and weighs 29.6 pounds. This speaker has a total frequency response of 36Hz – 40 kHz, and a nominal impedance of 8 ohms.
For each channel, the recommended amplifier power is 20 – 200 watts. This speaker is arguably one of the best passive speakers for turntables; it is designed to work perfectly. You’ll only hear good sounds.
4. Klipsch RB-51 II (Pr) 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers
Klipsch products are renowned for the quality they carry; as such, this is one of the best passive speakers for turntables around. The speaker will quickly fill medium-sized rooms with unique sounds when used. The design is highly efficient, which delivers more sound while using less energy.
The speaker produces accurate sounds, which are played with less distortion. The speaker has an overall dimension of 11.4 x 6.5 x 10.75 inches. The 5.25 high-output cerametallic woofer is designed to deliver top-quality and unique sounds.
It has an overall weight of 20.94 lbs. Precision, clarity, and effortless delivery is the feature of this speaker. The speaker is also finished in a beautiful black ash woodgrain vinyl veneer which helps it complement the design of your home.
5. NEUMI BS5 Passive Bookshelf Speakers
If you are budget conscious when picking the best passive speakers for turntables, this is the best option for you. This speaker is affordable, yet it produces high-quality sound. As a passive-designed speaker, you will need to get an amplifier that helps you play better.
The speaker has a nominal impedance of 6 ohms, and a power handling of 15 – 100 watts, and a frequency response of 50Hz – 20 kHz. It features a 5 inches Fiberglass woofer with a rubber surround. This speaker is both lightweight (weighing 16 lbs) and offers a balanced bass and midrange output.
As a wall-mounted passive speaker, it has an overall dimension of 8.5 x 7.2 x 10.6 inches. The tweeter also helps deliver a clearer sound that helps get rid of distortion. Irrespective of the listening level, you are bound to enjoy the speaker.
Why Get A Passive Speaker?
It is not surprising that many around the world love to make use of passive speakers. There are several reasons why they often opt for passive speakers. For one, they are lightweight and can be set up quickly and easily. Compared to their active counterpart, they really do not need professional hands to set the speaker up.
Added to that, they often come with a single cable. These are just the basics; there are numerous other reasons why you should buy the best passive speakers for turntable, let us talk about some of them.
It comes in varying sizes
Passive speakers are delivered in varying sizes. Since they are designed for use in a different environment, you will always get one that is suitable for you. For your turntables, there are floor-standing passive speakers that will help you get the best sound so far you have the space to keep them.
If you have a smaller space, you can also make use of small bookshelf speakers which are perfect for small parties, or for use in your room. Depending on where you want to use the turntable, you can get either the big one, or the small design, or something in between.
It features a different listening style
As a DJ, you treasure the sound coming out of your speaker, and when you are searching for speakers, you have some special sound effects you are looking out for. That is one excellent thing about passive speakers. It always comes with numerous options that feature sounds you crave in a speaker.
If you will be playing loud music on your turntable, there are passive speakers designed for loud music, the party speakers. If, on the other hand, you want a passive speaker for an office party, or for use in your home, there are several options available for you too.
Irrespective of how you listen to your music, there is always a passive speaker for your listening pleasure.
Passive speakers are reliable
Another reason why you should opt for a passive speaker is because of its reliability. These passive speakers come in such a way that they don’t break down easily or fail you while performing. This often depends on the manufacturer in most cases. As such, you should be careful about the product you are picking.
Reliability is often influenced by the type of material used for the construction of the speaker. When you buy from reputable manufacturers, you will have a speaker that is built to be strong, sturdy, and with the right enclosure. As a DJ, you need a rugged speaker that will survive a lot of lifting and moving around; a passive speaker is the best option.
Passive speakers are affordable
Many often shy away from getting passive speakers because they see them as expensive options. Far from it, passive speakers are highly affordable; in fact, you have several options depending on what you need.
It is not advisable to go for the cheapest ones in the market if you want a speaker that will sound great, even at that, some between the $100 -$1000 mark offers great sound and comes in high-quality build. If you follow the criteria listed in this review, you are some steps ahead in getting the best passive speaker.
Buying the best passive speakers for the turntable is not impossible. All the models we have recommended in this review are the best ones that will help you produce the best sounds. Focusing on the criteria that we have above will also improve your chance of getting the best, as we are so sure about them while making our selections.
There are several reasons why you might want to buy a passive speaker; we have highlighted some of them, and what you stand to gain.
It is good to note that all the speakers we have in this review are high-quality and deliver a rich, full sound that will help you enjoy every moment you spend playing. They are all high-end products, but they are worth every penny you are paying.
Here are some other great choices for you:
- The MB42 is a demonstration of our designers’ love for the classic compact bookshelf speaker. Handsomely styled with simple contours and modern...
- Our design starts with carefully picked drivers that mesh perfectly in the critical crossover overlap region. It incorporates a balanced woven carbon...
- The fabric front grills are easy to take off and put on. Leave them on for a classic look or take them off to show off the incredibly handsome...
- Home Trial - Listen for yourself, try them in your home with your music. Place the MB42 along a wall or near a corner of the room for best results....
- Specifications: Woofer: 4" Carbon Fiber, Rubber Surround; Tweeter: 0.75" Silk Dome; Crossover: 6dB/Octave; Enclosure: Ported; Frequency Response:...
- RECEIVER OR AMPLIFIER REQUIRED – Connect an amplifier or receiver to power these speakers to your taste. Speaker wires included.
- 4-INCH BASS DRIVERS – Balanced natural sound with the 4-inch driver and a bass reflex port to enhance bass. 6 ohm impedance
- WALL-MOUNT BRACKET BUILT-IN – Hang these speakers on the wall as rear surround speakers for your home theater
- SILK DOME TWEETERS – High quality 19mm (3/4 inch) tweeters reproduces treble in every detail
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY - Guaranteed high quality and reliability with hassle-free parts and labor warranty for two years in USA and Canada.
- Single 4" spun-copper IMG woofer
- 1" aluminum LTS tweeter mated to a 90x90 square Tractrix Horn
- 68 hertz - 21 kilohertz +/- 3dB; Nominal impedance - 8 ohms; Compatible crossover frequency – 1,730 hertz
- Sensitivity 90dB
- 200 watts power handling
- 24 WATTS RMS POWER OUTPUT - Active bookshelf speaker system with 24W total power output with calibrated, flared bass reflex port in front
- CLASSIC WOOD FINISH - 100% wooden enclosures to minimize acoustic resonance, Magnetically shielded speakers
- CABLES INCLUDED - RCA and 3.5mm cables and speaker wire included. Universal 110V-240V power supply.
- 2 X AUX INPUT - Convenient connection to any device that has a 3.5mm headphone output or dual RCA output. Connect to two devices via AUX at the same...
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY - Guaranteed high quality and reliability with hassle-free parts and labor warranty for two years in USA and Canada.
- 3-way, 3-speaker bass-reflex system, 5-1/4 inches Foamed-Mica Cellular Reinforced Woofer, 1 inch Polyester Main Tweeter
- 3/4 inches Sony Super Tweeter for immersive sound staging, Sound Reproduction to 50kHz (for High Resolution Audio), 6 ohm Speaker Impedance
- Optimized Crossover componentry for a clear audio path, 100 W Maximum Input Power.Front Speaker Input terminal:Screw type
- Front Speaker Rated Impedance: 6 ohms
- Patented concentric driver design delivers common acoustical center point and maintains coherency through crossover region
- 3-Inch wool paper cone woofer with waveguide cone design for improved tweeter dispersion
- 0.75-Inch PEI dome tweeter for crystal clear treble and accurate imaging
- Ported enclosure delivers extended bass response with low distortion
- 6dB/octave crossover at 3.2kHz makes for a smooth transition between the woofer and the tweeter
- Premium components ensure serious performance, natural sound and great reliability at an exceptional value; Bookshelf speaker configuration for full...
- Audio grade MDF wood construction to reduce cabinet resonance; Ultra high-end Neodymium tweeters provide accurate high frequency response; Ferro-fluid...
- Butyl rubber surrounds for increased durability and performance; Tuned bass port for controlled low frequency response and improved efficiency; 5-way...
- Banana plug and speaker wire compatible connectors on all speakers; Low diffraction flush fit removable front grilles for spacious imaging;...
- Premium crossovers feature Butterworth design for audio equalization; 18 gauge internal lead wire to reduce signal degradation; Premium vinyl veneer...
- FROM THE BESTSELLING MONITOR SERIES – This bookshelf is equipped with (1) 1" Dynamic Balance dome tweeter and (2) 5-1/4" Dynamic Balance woofers...
- INCREDIBLE SOUND AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE – Enjoy clear, crisp and spacious stereo sound with wider dispersion for lifelike 3-dimensional audio in...
- DELIVERS DETAILED HIGH FREQUENCY RESPONSE WITH REALISTIC REPRODUCTION OF VOCALS & INSTRUMENTS – Powerful deep bass, better mid-range and superior...
- CREATE A COMPLETE AND IMMERSIVE HOME THEATER SETUP by combining two bookshelf speakers with a Polk CS1 Center Speaker for any small or medium sized...
- Polk's UNWAVERING COMMITMENT, RELIABILITY, AND CRAFTSMANSHIP has made it one of the most trusted names in home audio speakers and entertainment...